Rajiv Gandhi 78th Birthday 2022 Wishes, Images, Quotes, Poster, Celebrated as August 20th:
India will celebrate Sadbhavana Diwas 2022 to commemorate Rajiv Gandhi’s 78th birth anniversary this year. As a mark of respect to the late former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, India observes Sadbhavana Diwas on August 20 every year. In 1992, a year after Rajiv Gandhi’s death, Congress instituted the Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Award.
Sadbhavana Diwas Pledge
“I take this solemn pledge that I will work for the emotional oneness and harmony of all the people of India regardless of caste, region, religion, or language. I further pledge that I shall resolve all differences among us through dialogue and constitutional means without resorting to violence.”
Importance of Sadbhavana Diwas
- Sadbhavana Diwas day is celebrated to promote national unity, peace, empathy, and communal harmony amid Indians of all faiths.
- In English, ‘Sadbhavana’ translates to ‘goodwill.’ Sadbhavana Diwas’ key theme is to encourage national unity and social goodwill across people of various faiths and cultures.
- In honour of his birth anniversary, close family members of Rajiv Gandhi and senior Congress officials pay tributes to him. They lay wreaths on Veer Bhoomi, the site where he was cremated.
- On Sadbhavana Diwas in India, numerous cultural events and contests are held across states.
- Sadhbhavna Diwas is also related to the maintenance of greenery, beauty of nature, environmental protection, and biodiversity conservation.
- The main goal of many events on Sadbhavana Diwas is to promote consciousness among citizens about these critical environmental challenges.
- Planting saplings is also proposed on this day.
About Rajiv Gandhi
- Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi was born on August 20, 1944, the Sadbhavana Diwas Date.
- He served as prime minister from 1984 to 1989.
- Rajiv Gandhi was the youngest Prime Minister in the history of the country.
- He was 40 when he became the Prime Minister.
- He was the grandson of the first Prime Minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru.
- India’s first woman Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, was his mother.
- Rajiv Gandhi became prime minister following the assassination of his mother, Indira Gandhi.
- Rajiv Gandhi, the country’s youngest prime minister, sought to foster communal harmony, national integrity, and peace inside India and was considered a Goodwill Ambassador to the rest of the world.
- His thought was modern since he was a young man, and he pioneered the concept of a developed nation through various national and international enterprises.
- He made significant contributions to the country’s progress.
- In 1986, he launched a National Policy on Education to reform and enhance higher education institutions throughout India.
- In 1986, he established the Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya System, a centralized government school, to improve the rural segment of society by offering free schooling from the sixth to the twelfth grades.
- His efforts resulted in the establishment of MTNL in 1986 and the establishment of public call offices (PCOs) for the provision of telephones in rural regions.
- Rajiv Gandhi was assassinated by a suicide bomber of the LTTE while campaigning for the elections in 1991.
- After his death, he was honoured with the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in India.